Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Tribute to Mothers



So far, I really haven’t focused on what is going on in the world around us or what is on the calendar, but today God has impressed upon me that I need to spend time honoring our mothers. As you should know by now, this coming Sunday is Mother’s Day.

We all share the commonality of having a mother. Now I know that there are some who were not raised by your biological mother. That is ok. There is someone in your life who is/was your mother or mother figure. That is the person I want focus on.

One of the Ten Commandments tells us to honor our father and mother.

Exodus 20:12 Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you. (ESV)

Then later in Leviticus God talks again about honoring or revering our parents while He is giving the law to the Israelites.

Leviticus 19:3 Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father, and you shall keep my Sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.

In the Ten Commandments, we find that when we honor our mother and father, our days will be long upon the earth. Then I find the verse in Leviticus so interesting because He tells us again to revere our mother and father then without taking a break, not even starting a new sentence He says keep my Sabbath. Then declares “I am the LORD your God.” That says to me, this is important you better pay attention! I’m thinking if God puts honoring, respecting, revering our parents up there with keeping the Sabbath, He wants us to take notice and listen! This must be pretty important to Him.

Am I honoring my mom the way God wants me to? What does that really mean? I don’t think it means buying her expensive gifts (sorry mom and Thelma). I believe it means 2 things:

1.    If you have a mom that is NOT a Christian-has not accepted Jesus as her personal Savior.
a.   You become Jesus to her-You live your life just exactly the way Jesus wants you to, so she sees Jesus in you.
b.   Every time God gives you the opportunity, you tell her how God is working in your life
2.   If you have a mom that IS a Christian-has accepted Jesus as her personal Savior.
a.   Live your life the way God wants you to.
b.   Raise your own children in church and teach them about Jesus.

As a mom myself, I don’t think I could be honored in ANY better way than to see my children following God!

To all you mothers, Have a wonderful Mother’s Day!
To all you children, Honor you Mom! If you can,take her to church, if not, let her know you love her. Either way let her know you love her!
For those whose mother’s are no longer with us, we can still thank God for them and their legacy!

Living in Grace
Angie



Since this is my blog, I get to do something special!

Me and My precious Mom!
To my mom: Thank you for taking me to church, teaching me about Jesus and the Bible and being with me when I was 6 and ready to ask Jesus into my heart! Thank you for being my friend now and sharing fun trips, concerts and your friends. I love and cherish you!!!



My and My Sweet Mother-in-Law, Thelma
To Thelma: Thank you for raising your son in Hudson Avenue and Edmond Road Baptist Churches. Thank you for following God through out Cecil’s life so that he and I could grow up together and be friends (and enemies, haha) all our lives! Thank you for the way that for the past 30 years (almost 26 of marriage) you have accepted me as your daughter. I love you!





1 comment: