Thursday, January 30, 2014

My "Breakthrough"

Hey there friends,

This week as we are moving along in our Proverbs 31 Online Bible Study, using the book, Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst. We are covering lots of material and building our confidence that we can do this. No matter what it is we need to turn away from to #CraveGod. As we cling to Him with #Determination we can do this!

Our verse this week is:
1Peter 5:7-8 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

In Chapter 4 of the book Made To Crave, author Lysa TerKeurst, talks about starting this journey of getting healthy. She had reached a point where she just didn’t think she could resist the cravings. Fortunately, Lysa had a friend who held her accountable. Lysa also turned to God, praying earnestly asking God to help her resist the temptation of the food she didn’t need.

Lysa got up the next morning feeling great and the cravings were gone. Isn’t it awesome how God kept his promise from 1Peter.

One of the topics we were asked to write about was “Sweet Place of Breakthrough.” My breakthrough is quite different from Lysa’s. My Breakthrough came when it finally hit me that I HAD to change my lifestyle or I might not live long enough to see my children marry and have children of their own.

Today I want to share that story with you. For as long as I can remember, I have been overweight. The chubby kid in class, difficult to buy clothes for, never quite fitting in because I wasn’t like everyone else. Oh sure, I was liked for my bubbly personality and constant smile on my face, but I always seemed to be the odd man out. As far as I was concerned it was because I was different, chubby, overweight, obese. Such ugly words, but so true that caused so much pain in the heart of a little girl, a teenager and even a woman. Even though it hurt, it didn’t seem to matter what I did, the weight never came off. So, I lived with it and the shame of it.

One day, while I was living in Texas and my parents were living in Oklahoma, my daddy was diagnosed with diabetes. He had been overweight for many years and it had taken a toll on his body. Now his body had become insulin resistant, not able use insulin in the right way when it needed it. He had damage to his eyes, his kidneys and his heart. However, my mom and dad committed to a lifestyle change and prayer. Daddy spent many years happy and much healthier. Unfortunately, for me and the rest of the family, on November, 16th 2008 his heart gave out and daddy died. The following day, November 17th, my daddy would have turned 64. Though we know daddy is with Jesus and no longer in any pain, it is still a devastating loss to us all.

In September 2012, no quite 4 years after my daddy met Jesus, I had my Breakthrough. Because of my family history of diabetes, my doctor keeps a close watch on my blood sugar levels. In particular he likes to periodically do a blood test called an A1C. This blood test measures the patient’s insulin level over the past 3 months. Depending on the number that comes back, the doctor will know if the patient’s blood sugar over the prior 3 months has been in the low range, the middle range or the high (diabetic) range. Prior to this, I had taken this test several times before and the results had always been in the middle range. But this particular day, when we received the results, my doctor looked at me and said “Angie, this test indicates that you are pre-diabetic.” All I could hear was “diabetic”, he said “DIABETIC”!!!! At the time I stayed calm, we discussed medications, but I looked at him and said “NO! Give me the chance to change this on my own with diet and exercise. If after 3 months, I am unsuccessful, then I will go on medication, but not before.” He agreed. As I left his office, I was numb, in shock I guess. Then came the tears. All I could do was cry, because in my mind, this was a death sentence. I was 46 years old and if I lived to be as old as my dad, then I had less than 20 years left. That was it 20 YEARS, maybe!!! That’s not much time! Will my kids get married? Will I have grandchildren? What am I going to miss, just because I won’t eat right and exercise!

That was it! I was done! Done wasting my life! Done living frivolously! Done throwing years away! It was time for change! So in October of 2012 I joined Weight Watchers. Over the next 3 months I lost almost 20lbs. When I went back to the doctor and he did the A1C, this time the numbers were better than they had ever been. No more pre-diabetes. I even got to get off of ALL my blood pressure medication. It was so exciting! Then, I let life get in the way. Since then I’ve gained 16 of it back, but 2 weeks ago I started back with WW and Made to Crave and I’m back on track. I’ve already lost 4.6lbs. With much prayer, following God first and making wise food choices. I will stay on track this time. It may be slow going and that’s ok, because this time my Breakthrough is for God and for good!!!


Living in Grace,

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment