Thursday, April 7, 2011

Comfort-Part 2


God not only can comfort us in our grief, but He can also be the comfort for us at any time we need someone to walk beside us. There are many times we simply need someone by our side to be our helper in life. That is exactly what the Holy Spirit is there to do. 

John 14:16-18And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.” (KJV)

In these verses Jesus is telling his disciples that after He ascends to heaven, God is going to send the Holy Spirit, to those who are saved, to comfort us. My understanding is that the Greek word for comforter in verse 16 is paraclete’ (para klee tay). The meaning of this word is comforter, helper, and advocate. When I was in Bible college, my professor, Dr. Raleigh Campbell, gave us this definition of paraclete’ - “one who walks beside”. Don’t you love that? Yes, the Holy Spirit is our comforter, helper and advocate, but as all those things, He walks beside us! I love that! Knowing He is right there walking beside me to comfort me! WOW!

So I can be assured everyday, in every circumstance I go through, I have the Holy Spirit walking beside me for the specific purpose of comforting me along the way! Then I read on in those verses and realize I am blessed beyond measure. Not everyone has the Holy Spirit as their comforter. Only those of us who have accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior will have Him as our comforter. Verse 17 states “whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you and shall be in you.” Until I accept Jesus as my personal Savior I don’t “know” him and he doesn’t “dwell” in me.

Can you imagine facing even one day without the comfort and security of the Holy Spirit? As I think about it, it simply boggles my mind to even imagine a life without Jesus. I feel such sweet comfort, peace and security knowing that my circumstance, my surroundings, even my future are not left to chance, but are in the hands of THE ALMIGHTY, ALL POWERFUL, and ALL KNOWING GOD OF THE UNIVERSE!!!

Living in Grace
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment