Friday, April 15, 2011

Family Legacy


Family. As soon as you read that word, a specific picture entered your mind.
Along with it probably came some emotions. You may have had good, warm, happy feelings, or you may have had negative, unhappy feelings. Some of us are blessed to have come from Christian homes, where we were raised in church. We were taught about Jesus and His sacrifice on the cross for us basically from the time we were born. Others may not have been so fortunate and have backgrounds of abuse or abandonment or other unhappy situations.

This past weekend we traveled to Oklahoma for a family reunion. This reunion was for my husband’s family. Ok, stay with me here. This was the Coker Family reunion. My husband, Cecil is one of 5 children. His mother is Thelma. Thelma is one of 9 children. Those 9 children were born to Melton and Dora Coker (Melton, Dora and their oldest child Juanita have all gone to heaven). So this reunion was for the 8 children and all of their offspring and families. I honestly do not know how many people were at the reunion. I do remember that when each Grandpa and Grandma Coker died the number of grandchildren and great grandchildren combine was well in to triple digits.

Now a little background, I am the oldest of 3 children, each of my parents only had 1 brother. So I come from a small family. Let me tell you, when we first started dating, Cecil’s family scared me to death! One of the first things we did as a “couple” was attend one of these reunions. I was 15! Each of Thelma’s siblings tried to get me to remember their names. From that point on I was supposed to know who everybody was. One time many years later I called one uncle by the other uncle’s name. I don’t think I will EVER live that down!

Well the Coker clan may like to tease and have fun together, but one thing I know for sure is they were raised by parents that LOVED JESUS and taught their children about Him! They also took their kids to church and showed them that being a Christian isn’t just for Sunday. To this day that is a consistent theme of this family. I love knowing where my husband came from and the fact that my children can go to these reunions and see, even today that Melton and Dora Coker are still having a Godly influence on our lives.

Isaiah 55:11
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

The next time you are teaching your children, or any child in your life, a Godly principle, Bible story or about Jesus’ sacrifice for us, remember, you have NO idea how far reaching your influence may be!!! On the other hand don’t get discouraged if you feel like your words are falling on deaf ears! God word with not return “empty”. It will accomplish the purpose he intended for it! Thank you dear Lord!!! What a mighty God we serve!!!


Living in Grace
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment