Thursday, April 21, 2011

What Music Means to Me


As you can tell from the title of my blog, “Angie's Notes of Grace, I LOVE music!!! At one time in my life I aspired to a career in music, but that was not what God had planned for me. That doesn’t mean He hasn’t used music in a dramatic way in my life. Through my family and education I have been exposed to a variety of genres of music and was taught from a young age how to appreciate them. At any given time you can find me listening to, watching videos of, or attending concerts of all kinds. I simply love music!
So don’t be surprised if you find me listening to Carrie Underwoood(Country), then at a Booth Brothers(Southern Gospel) concert, then listening to Toby Mac(Contemporary Christian), then listening to The Black Eyed Peas(Rock), then at a Francesca Battiselli(Contemporary Christian) concert, all in the same week. You might even catch me listening to or watching some classical music along the way.    

Some of you may not agree with me, but I believe God gave us music for many purposes: entertainment, to express our emotions, to worship Him, to excite us, or to calm us. Remember I am only talking about music, not the words, yet. Think about what music, just music, the sound of instruments, does for you. It makes me smile just thinking about it!

Lyrics give the writer the opportunity to tell us something. They allow the writer to tell a story, express a feeling, or state facts, whatever the writer chooses to do. Usually it is difficult to know what the composer is trying to get across without lyrics. Once Lyrics are added the song immediately has meaning! Now it can truly speak to us!

Once the music and lyrics are combined you get the whole story! As the writer works on a song he may use certain techniques to enhance it, make it more interesting or get your attention. He may place high notes with important words, dissonance (clashing notes) with sad or discouraging phrases, or it might be softer or louder at a special place. Next time you listen to your favorite song, see if you hear any of those things.

A song can be meaningful no matter the genre. There happen to be several songs that are very special to me and they are not Christian songs. A few of those are: “Just the Way You Are” by Bruno Mars, “Second Chance” by Shinedown, “Live Like We’re Dying” by Kris Allen, “I Won’t Let Go” by Rascal Flatts. Check these out, if you dare.
  
However, Christian songs are on a completely other level. When someone writes a song about Jesus or the Christian faith hopefully it has been done with God’s guidance and prayer. If that is the case, God has the opportunity to teach me something or speak to me through that song. If my heart is open and I am listening God can now step in and touch my heart and spirit and possibly change my life! That is what has been happening to me over the past few months.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. (ESV)
Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. (ESV)

Last August my mom and I traveled to Lebanon, MO for 4 nights of Southern Gospel concerts. Ok, let me explain, at that time I was NOT a fan of Southern Gospel music, but because of my upbringing and my love of music I CAN and WILL enjoy ANY type of music like I said earlier! Believe it or not, I had a GREAT time! On top of that God spoke to me in ways He had not been able to in months. I left their revived, and with a new favorite group! That group is the Booth Brothers. You will find a link to their website here. Check them out! Next week you will find out more about them!!!


Living in Grace
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment